La prédication dans un fauteuil ?
Sermon et moralité : le cas des Enfants ingrats
- Publication type: Article from a collective work
- Collective work: Prédication et performance du xiie au xvie siècle
- Author: Hindley (Alan)
- Abstract: The Mirouer et exemple moral des enfants ingrats survives in a edition published in Paris ca.1530 and draws on a 13th-century pious tale for the exemplum that forms much of its subject-matter, the Mistere du Crapaud. Our analysis of the play takes into account its relationship to the woodcuts and to the short passages which accompany some of them, showing how the printer sought to enrich the reader’s experience by adopting a ‘mise en page’ that superimposes on the play text an additional exegetical dimension, verbal but also visual. By such means, readers encounter a network of signs that help them to understand more effectively the play’s moral and doctrinal complexities.
- Pages: 189 to 214
- Collection: Encounters, n° 65
- Subcollection: Medieval civilization, n° 8
- ISBN: 978-2-8124-1242-4
- ISSN: 2261-1851
- DOI: 10.15122/isbn.978-2-8124-1242-4.p.0189
- Publisher: Classiques Garnier
- Online parution: 01-17-2014
- Language: French