Marseille, de l'immigration à la globalisation
Vers une norme exolingue ?
- Publication type: Article from a collective work
- Collective work: Les Métropoles francophones européennes en temps de globalisation
- Authors: Wharton (Sylvie), Wilson (Adam)
- Abstract: This contribution explores new forms of globalized mobility in Marseille through the analysis of linguistic landscapes in different parts of the city. It is shown how only French and English are given priority in tourist spaces whereas other languages, such as Arabic, are visible in neighbourhoods linked to “traditional” migration. We show how these linguistic dynamics contribute to specific orders of indexicality being established in each space and give rise to differing interactional norms.
- Pages: 295 to 313
- Last edition: 2019
- Collection: Variational Linguistics, n° 3
- ISBN: 978-2-406-08516-4
- ISSN: 2490-8495
- DOI: 10.15122/isbn.978-2-406-08518-8.p.0295
- Publisher: Classiques Garnier
- Parution date: 02-04-2019
- Language: French
- Keywords: Marseille, globalisation, tourism, exolingual, Linguistic Landscape, norms