Classiques Garnier Numérique publishes databases intended mainly for teachers, research-workers, students and pupils.
These databases are in full-text; they are established according to the principles of digital philology and are devoted to literature, humanities and linguistics. Two kinds of online resources are published: - extensive corpus, which aim at exhaustivity in a special field of study; - editors’ backlists.
Databases from the Middle Ages to the present day
• The Great Corpus of dictionaries brings together the 24 most important dictionaries devoted to the French language, from the Dictionary of old french language and all its dialects from the 9th to the 15th century to the Dictionarie of the french Academy devoted to modern French. This is an exceptionally rich set which offers 900,000 entries and their definitions.
• The Yverdon Encyclopedia represents the summa of European knowledge in the 18th century. It is also an indispensable companion to the dictionaries.
• The Great Corpus of French and Francophone literature, from the Middle Ages to the 20th century brings together four literary corpus published by Classiques Garnier Numérique: - medieval literature, from the origins to the 15th century; - narrative literature, from the Middle Ages to the 20th century; - first francophone literature from sub-Saharan Africa, from the origins to independence; - first francophone literature from the Indian Ocean, from the origins to independence. In all, this vast set offers the complete works of more than 300 authors.
• In Literary Criticism. The 19th century, all 19th century literary criticism is made available, from La Harpe to Proust.
• Writings on art, from the 18th to the 20th century, is a complete corpus of art criticism, from 1741 — with the Essay on beauty by Père André — to 1927, the date of the last volume of In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust.
• The Revolution and the Empire, by the writers and historians of the 19th century assembles all 19th century writings devoted to the French Revolution and to the French Empire, first those of professional writers and historians, but also those of all the people – journalists, activists, politicians, witnesses, actors – who sought to establish an account of historical events, to bear witness to them.
• The Patrologia græca is an incomparable collection, established at the end of the 19th century by Jacques-Paul Migne. It gathers in 161 quarto volumes the works of the Greek Church Fathers from the first century (pseudo-Clément) to 1478 (Calliste), all the Greek authors and the most important texts of Christian Antiquity and the Middle Ages.
• Seven collections on the Renaissance are available online : - Montaigne Studies ; - Studies and Essays on the Renaissance; - Renaissance Literary Library - 3rd series; - World Geographies ; - Conferences, Congresses, Colloquia on the European Renaissance, - International Society of Interdisciplinary Studies on the Renaissance (S.I.R.I.R) ; - Renaissance Texts.
• All collections from Classiques Garnier are published simultaneously on paper and online.
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
The following are available on CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or online : the Dictionnaire de l'ancienne langue française et de tous ses dialectes (Dictionary of Old French and All its Dialects) by Godefroy ; the Dictionnaire de la langue française du XVIe siècle (Dictionary of 16th Century French) by Huguet ; the Dictionnaires des XVIe et XVIIe siècles (Dictionaries of the 16th and 17th centuries) ; the Dictionnaire françois (Dictionary of French) by Richelet ; the Dictionaire Universel (Universal Dictionary) (1690) by Furetière ; the Dictionnaires de l'Académie française (Dictionaries of the French Academy) ; the Encyclopédie d'Yverdon (Encyclopedia of Yverdon) from De Felice ; the Grand Dictionnaire universel du XIXe siècle (Great Universal Dictionary of 19th Century) by Pierre Larousse ; Critique littéraire (Literary Criticism) ; Les Écrits sur l’art (Writings on Art) ; the Corpus de la littérature médiévale (Corpus of Medieval Literature) ; the Corpus de la littérature narrative du Moyen Âge au XXe siècle (Corpus of Narrative Literature from the Middle Ages to the 20th Century); the Corpus des œuvres de Montaigne (Corpus of the Works of Montaigne), the Corpus Bayle - Œuvres complètes (The Comple Works), the Manuel du libraire de Jacques-Charles Brunet (Brunet, Bookseller’s manual). Only available on CD-ROM: Revue du XVIIe siècle (17th Century Review).